St. Andrew’s United Church was formed from Methodist and Presbyterian Churches at the time of the birth of the United Church of Canada in 1925. The earliest forebearers of this congregation were the Methodists, who, led by Rev. William Black, built a church on Argyle Street, Halifax in 1787. Presbyterians opened a church on Barrington Street in 1817.
Both the Methodists and Presbyterians built and moved into a number of different churches over the years. At the time of church union in 1925, the United Methodists and St. Andrew’s Presbyterian congregations joined to form St. Andrew’s United Church.